Friday, November 20, 2009

Moonlight Sonata

Beethoven is one of the most brilliant composers of all time. I taught myself part of the first movement of Moonlight Sonata tonight on my steel pan. Playing it gave me so much joy. The melodies and countermelodies are so sweet and soothing. It was what I really needed today. Playing it just right with all the dynamics almost made me cry. Moonlight Sonata has to be my favorite piece by Beethoven thus far. It is simple yet so effective. This song was so brilliantly intricate. I'm just getting emotional thinking about it.

It is said that this composition was and dedicated to Beethoven’s pupil and passion, 17-year-old Countess Giulietta Gucciardi in 1802. It is also said that this passage is rendered in absolute remembrance to a dear friend of the composer whom had lost their life at an early age. Analyzing and comparing, one could realize that it cannot be the case of a romantic moon lit night, but rather of a solemn funeral hymn. Nonetheless, one can hear the passion through every note played. If you want to understand what I'm talking about, feel free to click on the link below:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck

No comments:

Post a Comment